British director Ken Loach, champion of the grimy working bloke (Raining Stones; Ladybird, Ladybird), takes an unpromisingly complicated aspect of modern European history — conflict among antifascist fighters during the 1936 Spanish civil war — and turns out a compelling dramatic story with Land and Freedom. The human passions at the heart of the ideological struggles are represented by Ian Hart (Backbeat) as David, an enthusiastic Liverpudlian Communist volunteer who learns about love, disillusionment, and loyalty during his stint on the Spanish front lines. The differences that turned comrade against comrade are captured in an unlikely but effective centerpiece — a long, jumbled all-village meeting about ”collectivizing” land liberated from Franco’s control. By setting the story in flashback, as a contemporary teenager pores over granddad David’s mementos (including an old red neckerchief tied around a handful of sacred Spanish soil) and finds inspiration in his commitment, Loach cleverly if not so subtly brings the class struggle back to his own English backyard.
Land and Freedom British director Ken Loach, champion of the grimy working bloke (Raining Stones; Ladybird, Ladybird), takes an unpromisingly...Land and FreedomDrama, WarPT109MUnrated British director Ken Loach, champion of the grimy working bloke (Raining Stones; Ladybird, Ladybird), takes an unpromisingly...1996-04-19
Genre: Drama, War; Starring: Iciar Bollain, Ian Hart; Director: Ken Loach; Runtime (in minutes): 109; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted April 19 1996 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday