British director Ken Loach, champion of the grimy working bloke (Raining Stones; Ladybird, Ladybird), takes an unpromisingly complicated aspect of modern European history — conflict among antifascist fighters during the 1936 Spanish civil war — and turns out a compelling dramatic story with Land and Freedom. The human passions at the heart of the ideological struggles are represented by Ian Hart (Backbeat) as David, an enthusiastic Liverpudlian Communist volunteer who learns about love, disillusionment, and loyalty during his stint on the Spanish front lines. The differences that turned comrade against comrade are captured in an unlikely but effective centerpiece — a long, jumbled all-village meeting about ”collectivizing” land liberated from Franco’s control. By setting the story in flashback, as a contemporary teenager pores over granddad David’s mementos (including an old red neckerchief tied around a handful of sacred Spanish soil) and finds inspiration in his commitment, Loach cleverly if not so subtly brings the class struggle back to his own English backyard.
Land and Freedom British director Ken Loach, champion of the grimy working bloke (Raining Stones; Ladybird, Ladybird), takes an unpromisingly...Land and FreedomDrama, WarPT109MUnrated British director Ken Loach, champion of the grimy working bloke (Raining Stones; Ladybird, Ladybird), takes an unpromisingly...1996-04-19
Genre: Drama, War; Starring: Iciar Bollain, Ian Hart; Director: Ken Loach; Runtime (in minutes): 109; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted April 19 1996 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lil Wayne debuts his 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, more celebs spend July 4 on Instagram, Twitter
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 50 Songs for 50 States: EW's favorite patriotic pop through the years
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Eddie Redmayne, Eva Longoria, Flo Rida & More!