Spin Control: Where would a movie about tornadoes be without a few allusions to The Wizard of Oz? But what’s with Twister’s references to the wizard of odd, Stanley Kubrick? One minor character is named Stanley, another’s called Kubrick, and in one of Twister’s most spectacular gusts, a storm rips through a drive-in playing Kubrick’s 1980 classic, The Shining. ”This is a chance to show how great his work is,” says director and Kubrick fan Jan De Bont, and the plug will no doubt pique public interest in Kubrick’s next endeavor, Eyes Wide Shut, starring Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise. Which, coincidentally, is also a Warner film. Oh my.
Posted May 24 1996 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Alec Baldwin calls out brother Stephen during 'SNL' debate cold open
- Benedict Cumberbatch to host final 'SNL' before election
- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg set to perform in an opera
- 'Ghostbusters' director gets 'choked up' by supportive fans
- Miley Cyrus storms Virginia college to campaign for Hillary Clinton
- Lauryn Hill gives powerful performance of 'Rebel' on 'Charlie Rose'
- 'Jessica Jones' season 2: Showrunner promises all-female directors