Its flash-forward framing device notwithstanding, Sydney Pollack’s dance-marathon movie They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? has probably aged better than any American film of its time; the drama is beautifully shot and written, while the acting (Gig Young won an Oscar, deservedly) is out of this world. This limited edition — letterboxed, with the soundtrack newly restored for stereo — looks and sounds as fresh as paint. Its supplemental materials (a making-of featurette, a running commentary by Pollack) are first-rate and occasionally revelatory — who knew that Warren Beatty was up for Michael Sarrazin’s part? That casting might have put a disturbingly literal spin on Beatty’s rep as a lady-killer. A
They Shoot Horses, Don't They? Its flash-forward framing device notwithstanding, Sydney Pollack's dance-marathon movie They Shoot Horses, Don't They? has probably...They Shoot Horses, Don't They?DramaJames PoePG Its flash-forward framing device notwithstanding, Sydney Pollack's dance-marathon movie They Shoot Horses, Don't They? has probably...1996-06-21Bruce DernSusannah YorkBruce Dern, Susannah York
Genre: Drama; Starring: Jane Fonda, Gig Young, Bruce Dern, Susannah York; Director: Sydney Pollack; Author: James Poe; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted June 21 1996 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Jason Bourne' 3-D screenings causing nausea and protests in China
- Olympian auctions off medal to pay young boy's medical bills
- Nicole Scherzinger's Britney Spears impression is 'Crazy' good
- Woody Allen on Dylan Farrow accusations: 'I get harassed all the time on it'
- 'Game of Thrones' star Maisie Williams: 'It's time to wrap this up'
- Nate Parker comments on rape trial controversy in Ebony interview
- 'Beauty and the Beast' photos reveal Cogsworth, Lumière, and the Prince