Its flash-forward framing device notwithstanding, Sydney Pollack’s dance-marathon movie They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? has probably aged better than any American film of its time; the drama is beautifully shot and written, while the acting (Gig Young won an Oscar, deservedly) is out of this world. This limited edition — letterboxed, with the soundtrack newly restored for stereo — looks and sounds as fresh as paint. Its supplemental materials (a making-of featurette, a running commentary by Pollack) are first-rate and occasionally revelatory — who knew that Warren Beatty was up for Michael Sarrazin’s part? That casting might have put a disturbingly literal spin on Beatty’s rep as a lady-killer. A
They Shoot Horses, Don't They? Its flash-forward framing device notwithstanding, Sydney Pollack's dance-marathon movie They Shoot Horses, Don't They? has probably...They Shoot Horses, Don't They?DramaJames PoePG Its flash-forward framing device notwithstanding, Sydney Pollack's dance-marathon movie They Shoot Horses, Don't They? has probably...1996-06-21Bruce DernSusannah YorkBruce Dern, Susannah York
Genre: Drama; Starring: Jane Fonda, Gig Young, Bruce Dern, Susannah York; Director: Sydney Pollack; Author: James Poe; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted June 21 1996 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bob Dylan thanks Nobel Prize committee for honoring his songs as literature
- Chris Pratt says his son thinks acting is 'stupid'
- 'Assassin's Creed': Final trailer has plenty of new footage
- Louis Tomlinson debuts new song on ‘X Factor’ days after mom’s death
- 'Insidious: Chapter 4' first look sees Lin Shaye facing her demons
- 'Sherlock' intense season 4 trailer: 'I love you'
- Patti Smith covers Bob Dylan at Nobel Prize ceremony