Its flash-forward framing device notwithstanding, Sydney Pollack’s dance-marathon movie They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? has probably aged better than any American film of its time; the drama is beautifully shot and written, while the acting (Gig Young won an Oscar, deservedly) is out of this world. This limited edition — letterboxed, with the soundtrack newly restored for stereo — looks and sounds as fresh as paint. Its supplemental materials (a making-of featurette, a running commentary by Pollack) are first-rate and occasionally revelatory — who knew that Warren Beatty was up for Michael Sarrazin’s part? That casting might have put a disturbingly literal spin on Beatty’s rep as a lady-killer. A
They Shoot Horses, Don't They? Its flash-forward framing device notwithstanding, Sydney Pollack's dance-marathon movie They Shoot Horses, Don't They? has probably...They Shoot Horses, Don't They?DramaJames PoePG Its flash-forward framing device notwithstanding, Sydney Pollack's dance-marathon movie They Shoot Horses, Don't They? has probably...1996-06-21Bruce DernSusannah YorkBruce Dern, Susannah York
Genre: Drama; Starring: Jane Fonda, Gig Young, Bruce Dern, Susannah York; Director: Sydney Pollack; Author: James Poe; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted June 21 1996 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stan Lee attends 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Casting Net: Radcliffe and Dano lead 'Swiss Army Man' cast
- AC/DC near streaming deals?
- Jack Carter, comedian-actor, dies at 93
- NeNe Leakes exiting 'Real Housewives'
- 'Star Trek' title confirmed: Justin Lin shares first photo from 'Beyond'
- 'Ghostbusters' uniform: Paul Feig tweets first look
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!