As the title genie, Shaquille O’Neal looks great in his silky ornate Arab-kitsch outfits, and he makes a terrific entrance, emerging from a boom box in a small tornado. And then? Then, not very much. O’Neal’s Kazaam is a 3,000-year-old wish giver who becomes the servant of Max (Francis Capra), one of those gawky preteen mopheads who looks like a girl. It takes the movie all of 15 minutes to descend into sub-Spielbergian banalities about poor Max’s search for his absentee dad. In addition to grinning and scolding a lot, O’Neal, a genial (if lightweight) presence, also raps, beats up some thugs, and dispenses therapeutic homilies; he’s the genie as ultimate guidance counselor. The special effects have all the wonder of a ”magical” TV commercial, as candy bars fall from the sky and pieces of French toast go flying around the kitchen. There is also much tacky glittery-gold light. But Kazaam never brings off the trick we most want to see: It fails to make the jolly, 7-foot-1 Shaq larger than life. D+
KazaamAs the title genie, Shaquille O'Neal looks great in his silky ornate Arab-kitsch outfits, and he makes a terrific entrance, emerging from a boom box in...KazaamComedyChristian FordPT93MPGAs the title genie, Shaquille O'Neal looks great in his silky ornate Arab-kitsch outfits, and he makes a terrific entrance, emerging from a boom box in...1996-07-26
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Shaquille O'Neal, Ally Walker; Director: Paul Michael Glaser; Author: Christian Ford; Runtime (in minutes): 93; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted July 26 1996 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See 29 celebrities recite Justin Bieber's 'Sorry'
- Sacha Baron Cohen shows Jimmy Kimmel graphic 'Brothers Grimsby' clip
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: There's trouble at sea in 'Fear the Walking Dead' teaser
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday