Simon Hopkins is a second-rate novelist who’s managed to swing a summer gig in Greece, leading a writing workshop at a holistic holiday camp for grown-ups. Aside from fiction writing as therapy, the center offers colonic massages, gastric dancing, early-morning affirmation sessions, and consciousness-raising via orgasms. This means that D.M. Thomas gets to poke fun at veganism, meditation, and other New Age-isms, as well as to twist a knife into real-life literary colleagues: Mystery writer Ruth Rendell is teaching on the next island over; Tim O’Brien led the previous fiction workshop. Thomas’ alter ego, Hopkins, in a glorious nod to Harriet the Spy, jots down pithy sketches of his students and then carelessly leaves his notebook out. The outcome of that incident is only to be expected, which you cannot say for Lady With a Laptop. Part farce, part murder mystery, part biting indictment of literary pretensions, Laptop is ultimately too much of a mishmash to truly satisfy. C+
Lady With a Laptop Simon Hopkins is a second-rate novelist who's managed to swing a summer gig in Greece, leading a writing workshop at a holistic holiday camp for...Lady With a LaptopFictionD.M. Thomas Simon Hopkins is a second-rate novelist who's managed to swing a summer gig in Greece, leading a writing workshop at a holistic holiday camp for...1996-08-23
Genre: Fiction; Author: D.M. Thomas
Posted August 23 1996 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Newt Gingrich tells Megyn Kelly she's 'fascinated with sex'
- 'Prisoner of Azkaban': Designers reveal what they snuck into the film
- Lady Gaga crashes James Corden's monologue
- What to Watch Wednesday: 'Rectify' enters its final season
- Carpool Karaoke: Lady Gaga sings, James Corden wears meat dress
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Philinda finally going to happen?
- Adele endorses Hillary Clinton at Miami concert
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop