Most Hollywood movies are brokered with greenbacks. The Underground Comedy Movie was funded by greens. ”We sold vegetable choppers in malls across the United States,” says its 23-year-old producer, Chris Watson. With the participation of such tattered pop fixtures as Axl Rose, Anna Nicole Smith, and Karen Black, the $170,000 sketch-comedy picture, which started out as Los Angeles cable-access bits in 1988, aspires to be ”a Kentucky Fried Movie for the ’90s,” Watson says. Among the bits: ”The Miss America Bag Lady Pageant,” shot in Tijuana with bikini-clad homeless; ”Flirty Harry,” about a cop with the mantra ”Go ahead: Make me gay”; and a Godfather parody (”The Godmother”) featuring Joey Buttafuoco. Writer-director Vince Offer, 25, admits he knows little about cameras (”We had some trouble with the buttons”), but he has learned the art of image: ”Sometimes to call casting people, we use a girl. It seems professional.” The L.A.-based duo’s salad days aren’t over yet: There’s still no distributor, and scheduling snafus (Smith has been sidelined by a breast-implant-related illness) have delayed completion by a month. ”Our hope,” says Offer, ”is that we can finish in time for Sundance.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Gisele Bündchen, Patrick Dempsey, Rosamund Pike & More!