The title of Bottle Rocket refers to cheap fireworks that fizz before they flame out quietly, and that’s what three Southwestern slackers do in this amiable heist movie-cum-road flick. Live wire Didgnan (Owen C. Wilson, recipient of Jim Carrey’s bathroom beating in The Cable Guy wants to burn off life’s ennui with a series of hilariously naive robberies, dragging along sad sack Anthony (real-life brother Luke) and lost-soul rich boy Bob (Robert Musgrave). Director Wes Anderson may prove a bottle rocket himself — like so many indie auteurs, he’s got a charming voice and not a lot to say with it. But his spare-looking film lights up a TV screen handsomely, and watching at home — where you could be doing something constructive — only heightens the delicious sense of wasted time. B+
Bottle RocketThe title of Bottle Rocket refers to cheap fireworks that fizz before they flame out quietly, and that's what three Southwestern slackers...Bottle RocketMystery and Thriller, ComedyRThe title of Bottle Rocket refers to cheap fireworks that fizz before they flame out quietly, and that's what three Southwestern slackers...1996-09-27
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Comedy; Starring: Owen C. Wilson, Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson; Director: Wes Anderson; MPAA Rating: R
Posted September 27 1996 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!