The title of Bottle Rocket refers to cheap fireworks that fizz before they flame out quietly, and that’s what three Southwestern slackers do in this amiable heist movie-cum-road flick. Live wire Didgnan (Owen C. Wilson, recipient of Jim Carrey’s bathroom beating in The Cable Guy wants to burn off life’s ennui with a series of hilariously naive robberies, dragging along sad sack Anthony (real-life brother Luke) and lost-soul rich boy Bob (Robert Musgrave). Director Wes Anderson may prove a bottle rocket himself — like so many indie auteurs, he’s got a charming voice and not a lot to say with it. But his spare-looking film lights up a TV screen handsomely, and watching at home — where you could be doing something constructive — only heightens the delicious sense of wasted time. B+
Bottle RocketThe title of Bottle Rocket refers to cheap fireworks that fizz before they flame out quietly, and that's what three Southwestern slackers...Bottle RocketMystery and Thriller, ComedyRThe title of Bottle Rocket refers to cheap fireworks that fizz before they flame out quietly, and that's what three Southwestern slackers...1996-09-27
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Comedy; Starring: Owen C. Wilson, Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson; Director: Wes Anderson; MPAA Rating: R
Posted September 27 1996 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- Rob Thomas' 'Trust You': Hear it, get scoop on new album
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Will Stannis make the sacrifice on 'Game of Thrones'?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!