A Montreal journalist in the 1950s, Mavis Gallant moved overseas at age 27 to write fiction full-time in Paris, a place that inspired her richly textured cast of North American expatriates and European nationals, petit bourgeoisie and grungy bohemians. Typically, characters in The Collected Stories of Mavis Gallant are caught between their aspirations and their emotions: In an early tale, an innocent American girl chases a Paris of her imagination and gets engaged to a man she doesn’t love; in a recent piece, a sophisticated Parisian condescends to her ex-husband, a famous painter, while obsessing over his lovers. Gallant’s prose is always pristine, glistening like a glacier; what is astonishing is how she invites dark and mysterious emotional currents to fracture and fragment the smooth surfaces. A
The Collected Stories of Mavis Gallant A Montreal journalist in the 1950s, Mavis Gallant moved overseas at age 27 to write fiction full-time in Paris, a place that inspired her richly...The Collected Stories of Mavis GallantFiction, Short StoriesMavis Gallant A Montreal journalist in the 1950s, Mavis Gallant moved overseas at age 27 to write fiction full-time in Paris, a place that inspired her richly...1996-10-11
Genre: Fiction, Short Stories; Author: Mavis Gallant
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage spotlight: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!