Eddie (Matt Ross), a nice guy from Wisconsin, moves to Manhattan but can’t seem to hook into the mean, lean New York lifestyle. He’s sweet, polite, a cornflower mensch; he has manners. But he’s living in a city that’s abandoned civility — if you treat people well, you’re a sap — and when he tries to romance Lee (Callie Thorne), the morose cutie-pie who keeps crossing his path, he’s so earnest she thinks he’s an alien. Ed’s Next Move, the first feature written and directed by John Walsh, is as generic in form as a previous (male) generation’s autobiographical first novels. Yet there’s real zest in the details — the haughtily obnoxious banter at an East Village party, Lee’s folksinging gigs (she and her band could be the zombie children of Jonathan Richman). Ross, with his Danny Kaye eyes and Howdy Doody cheekbones, has a self-deprecating Midwest ardor that sneaks up on you. The breakout star, however, is Kevin Carroll as Ed’s distracted lothario roommate. The grimace of horror that crosses his face when Ed tries to flatter a romantic prospect by telling her she’s ”pleasant” is New York cynicism at its blunt finest. B
Ed's Next MoveEddie (Matt Ross), a nice guy from Wisconsin, moves to Manhattan but can't seem to hook into the mean, lean New York lifestyle. He's sweet, polite, a...Ed's Next MoveComedyJohn WalshPT88MEddie (Matt Ross), a nice guy from Wisconsin, moves to Manhattan but can't seem to hook into the mean, lean New York lifestyle. He's sweet, polite, a...1996-10-25Callie Thorne
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Kevin Carroll, Matt Ross, Callie Thorne; Director: John Walsh; Author: John Walsh; Runtime (in minutes): 88
Posted October 25 1996 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- Obama talks 'The Wire' with David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers Meron, Zadan moving on
- Craig T. Nelson back as Hayden Fox in NBC 'Coach' revival
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!