It’s worth seeing Jude, a stark adaptation of Thomas Hardy’s Jude the Obscure, just for the extraordinary performance of Christopher Eccleston (Shallow Grave) as Jude Fawley, the stonemason in turn-of-the-century England whose dreams of university scholarship are thwarted. And British telly director Michael Winterbottom (Cracker) sustains a fine atmosphere of dank misery. But if you haven’t read the book, you may find yourself saying Huh? to the jumpy plot about two nomadic sad sacks strangled by class, religious, and sexual oppression. If you have read it, you may wonder why Jude’s cousin and soul mate, Sue Bridehead (one of fiction’s more fascinating women), played wanly by Sense and Sensibility’s Kate Winslet, is so mercurial in her nonconformist attitudes toward sex and marriage. With Absolutely Fabulous’ June Whitfield — Edina’s mum! — as Jude’s wise auntie. B
Jude It's worth seeing Jude, a stark adaptation of Thomas Hardy's Jude the Obscure, just for the extraordinary performance of...JudeDramaHossein AminiPT123MR It's worth seeing Jude, a stark adaptation of Thomas Hardy's Jude the Obscure, just for the extraordinary performance of...1996-11-01
Genre: Drama; Starring: Christopher Eccleston, Kate Winslet; Director: Michael Winterbottom; Author: Hossein Amini; Runtime (in minutes): 123; MPAA Rating: R
Posted November 1 1996 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' season 7 winner talks about being the 'shadiest queen'
- Robin Williams' wife, children continue to sort out issues over late actor's estate
- Icona Pop join One Direction on their U.S. tour
- Caitlyn Jenner's mom: 'She's beautiful'
- St. Vincent OK after fall off speakers
- Eddie Redmayne set for 'Fantastic Beasts'
- Justice Department ramps up its investigation of theater chains
- 18 CBS star portraits from summer/fall shows
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Charlize & Seth, Alessandro & Bradley, Gwen Stefani and More!