A fast talker fond of long words and self-deprecating jabs (”Folk music is boring”), on The Past Didn’t Go Anywhere, 61-year-old anarchist troubadour Utah Phillips rambles about being a dad, war deserter, and political candidate. Both his voice and the cut-and-spliced hip-hop production by folk grrrl Ani DiFranco are stiffer than they need to be, but Phillips’ didactic monologues possess a sarcastic absurdity that fans of Woody Guthrie and Beck should identify with. B
The Past Didn't Go Anywhere A fast talker fond of long words and self-deprecating jabs (''Folk music is boring''), on The Past Didn't Go Anywhere, 61-year-old ...The Past Didn't Go AnywhereRock, Folk A fast talker fond of long words and self-deprecating jabs (''Folk music is boring''), on The Past Didn't Go Anywhere, 61-year-old ...1996-11-08
Genre: Rock, Folk; Lead Performers: Ani DiFranco, Utah Phillips; Producer (group): Righteous Babe
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!