There’s more to the quasi-memoir The Babe in Boyland than the nation’s No. 1 syndicated sports-radio talk-show host The Fabulous Sports Babe (with Neal Karlen) telling various segments of the population to ”bl– me,” although there’s plenty of that, too. This is loudmouth literature, but the Babe, Nanci Donnellan, comes by it honestly — she’s paid her dues in plenty of locker rooms. It’s tough not to be captivated by her humor (she calls her on-air sound effect of a pipe cracking a knee a ”Gillooly” after Tonya Harding’s ex), her spirit (she’s survived myriad firings and she’s a Red Sox fan), and her honesty about things that get her ”underwear in a bunch” (Pete Rose, O.J., the ignorance of her callers). I wish there were more personal moments, like her recollection of hiding out in a Catholic school bathroom so that she could listen to every pitch of the World Series. But even so, the Babe delivers. A-
The Babe in Boyland There's more to the quasi-memoir The Babe in Boyland than the nation's No. 1 syndicated sports-radio talk-show host The Fabulous...The Babe in BoylandMemoir, NonfictionThe Fabulous Sports Babe, Neal Karlen There's more to the quasi-memoir The Babe in Boyland than the nation's No. 1 syndicated sports-radio talk-show host The Fabulous...1996-11-15Regan Books
Genre: Memoir, Nonfiction; Author: The Fabulous Sports Babe, Neal Karlen; Publisher: Regan Books
Posted November 15 1996 — 12:00 AM EST
- Read an exclusive excerpt from Estelle Laure's 'This Raging Light'
- 'Silicon Valley' star T.J. Miller on his 'absurd' HBO pilot 'The Gorburger Show'
- Casting Net: Woody Harrelson, Laura Dern in negotiations for 'Wilson'
- Natalie Portman relives 'dark moments' at Harvard in commencement speech
- Thom Yorke made an 18-day-long soundtrack, still not new Radiohead music
- 'Serial' set for two more seasons
- 'Teen Mom 2' star Jenelle Evans wanted for allegedly attacking ex-fiance