With the Cold War folded up and put away, John le Carré has sent his 16th novel, The Tailor of Panama, to follow in the black-comic footsteps of Graham Greene’s Our Man in Havana (as he notes in the acknowledgments). Greene’s humble vacuum-cleaner merchant, Jim Wormold, was made into a reluctant agent by British intelligence. Likewise, le Carré’s humble tailor, Harry Pendel, of Pendel & Braithwaite Co., ”Tailors to Royalty, formerly of Savile Row,” now of Panama City. Wormold makes an ass of his superiors by feeding them fabricated, vacuum-cleaner-inspired blueprints and plots, causing all hell to break loose in sultry Havana. In le Carre’s version, all hell doesn’t need any more encouragement to break loose in sultry Panama, where the Americans are uneasily preparing to turn over the canal to the natives. Le Carré supplies some familiar Latin American comedy of corruption, assorted Panamanian customs and costumes, and tailoring as a loose-fitting metaphor for life. The satire finally gives way to sermonizing, and Graham Greene retains his title as literary champion of slippery ambiguity and furtive redemption, but Le Carré has, as usual, written a deftly subversive and delectably sour fictional confection. B+
The Tailor of PanamaWith the Cold War folded up and put away, John le Carré has sent his 16th novel, The Tailor of Panama, to follow in the black...The Tailor of PanamaFiction, Mystery and ThrillerJohn leCarreWith the Cold War folded up and put away, John le Carré has sent his 16th novel, The Tailor of Panama, to follow in the black...1996-11-15Knopf
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: John leCarre; Publisher: Knopf
Posted November 15 1996 — 12:00 AM EST
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Diana Douglas, mother of Michael Douglas and ex-wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!