With the Cold War folded up and put away, John le Carré has sent his 16th novel, The Tailor of Panama, to follow in the black-comic footsteps of Graham Greene’s Our Man in Havana (as he notes in the acknowledgments). Greene’s humble vacuum-cleaner merchant, Jim Wormold, was made into a reluctant agent by British intelligence. Likewise, le Carré’s humble tailor, Harry Pendel, of Pendel & Braithwaite Co., ”Tailors to Royalty, formerly of Savile Row,” now of Panama City. Wormold makes an ass of his superiors by feeding them fabricated, vacuum-cleaner-inspired blueprints and plots, causing all hell to break loose in sultry Havana. In le Carre’s version, all hell doesn’t need any more encouragement to break loose in sultry Panama, where the Americans are uneasily preparing to turn over the canal to the natives. Le Carré supplies some familiar Latin American comedy of corruption, assorted Panamanian customs and costumes, and tailoring as a loose-fitting metaphor for life. The satire finally gives way to sermonizing, and Graham Greene retains his title as literary champion of slippery ambiguity and furtive redemption, but Le Carré has, as usual, written a deftly subversive and delectably sour fictional confection. B+
The Tailor of PanamaWith the Cold War folded up and put away, John le Carré has sent his 16th novel, The Tailor of Panama, to follow in the black...The Tailor of PanamaFiction, Mystery and ThrillerJohn leCarreWith the Cold War folded up and put away, John le Carré has sent his 16th novel, The Tailor of Panama, to follow in the black...1996-11-15Knopf
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: John leCarre; Publisher: Knopf
Posted November 15 1996 — 12:00 AM EST
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- Wes Craven's 5 most terrifying scenes
- Andrew Garfield compares making 'Spider-Man' movies to 'canning Coke'
- 'Under the Dome' will end this season
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!