Larger Than Life should be the kind of broad, high-concept family comedy Bill Murray excels at: He plays a joyless motivational speaker, bequeathed an elephant by the circus-clown father he never knew, who has to schlepp the beast from Baltimore to San Diego by train, truck, and foot to sell her. But the trek is long, the direction (by Murray’s Quick Change colleague Howard Franklin) is soft, the script (by Roy Blount Jr.) is windy, and the occasional laughs are as heavy-footed as the thunking lead pachyderm herself. Furthermore, a couple of its costars are probably wondering what in the Sam Hill they were thinking when they signed on, since they are singularly ill-used. Matthew McConaughey (in a gig he fulfilled before his A Time to Kill hype) is momentarily funny as a long-distance trucker on speed, but his shtick, which was expanded mid-production, gets no funnier with extended screen time. Linda Fiorentino is declawed and tamed as a flashy booker of animal talent. And, most dispiriting of all, Janeane Garofalo looks dazed and defeated as a zookeeper (yes, a Truth About Cats and Dogs-type — what’s up with that?) with not a single bright line to say. D
Larger Than Life Larger Than Life should be the kind of broad, high-concept family comedy Bill Murray excels at: He plays a joyless motivational...Larger Than LifeComedyRoy Blount Jr.PT93M Larger Than Life should be the kind of broad, high-concept family comedy Bill Murray excels at: He plays a joyless motivational...1996-11-15Matthew McConaughey
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Linda Fiorentino, Janeane Garofalo, Bill Murray, Matthew McConaughey; Director: Howard Franklin; Author: Roy Blount Jr.; Runtime (in minutes): 93
Posted November 15 1996 — 12:00 AM EST
- Lin-Manuel Miranda live-tweeted commentary for 'Hamilton's America'
- J.K. Rowling loves Amy Schumer's book
- Chris Pratt encourages people to go outside and look for trolls
- Kanye West scored Kardashian family movies to 'Only One' for Kim's birthday
- 'Once Upon a Time' star says Robin Hood return provides closure
- Jason Sudeikis duets with Harry Connick Jr. as Harry Connick Jr.
- Chris Pine cast in Ava DuVernay's 'A Wrinkle in Time'