When a local pop-music scene gets big (Liverpool; Athens, Ga.), the folks who were there tend to get snotty and possessive, as if their children had grown up and betrayed them. That’s just one bit of fallout captured in Doug Pray’s brisk, funny, scrupulously well-researched documentary Hype!, about the rise of the Seattle grunge scene. Pray has unearthed a treasure trove of clips from the mid- to late ’80s, when the city was already home to a thriving collection of noise bands. Most of these bands were so-so, but their collective mediocrity sets the stage for a revelatory moment: a video clip of Nirvana’s first live club performance of ”Smells Like Teen Spirit.” Kurt Cobain’s druggy singsong gives you a shiver — it rises above the thrash we’ve been listening to like a wail from the heart. As fascinating as Hype! is, though, the film buys rather naively into the you-had-to-be-there ethos of all those obnoxious local scenesters. Pray implies that grunge was somehow compromised when it was marketed by Sub Pop into a youth-cult myth. Yet the essence of the Seattle revolution was that bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden became huge sellers without in any way softening their rust-bucket rawness. B+
Hype!When a local pop-music scene gets big (Liverpool; Athens, Ga.), the folks who were there tend to get snotty and possessive, as if their children had...Hype!Documentary, MusicalPT84MUnratedWhen a local pop-music scene gets big (Liverpool; Athens, Ga.), the folks who were there tend to get snotty and possessive, as if their children had...1996-11-22
Genre: Documentary, Musical; Starring: Chris De Garmo, Matt Cameron, Scott Rockenfield, Geoff Tate, Michael Wilton; Director: Doug Pray; Runtime (in minutes): 84; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted November 22 1996 — 12:00 AM EST
- Michael Fassbender rises to power in new 'Macbeth' trailer
- Janet Jackson kicks off world tour with new song featuring Missy Elliott
- Alison Mosshart details the Dead Weather's new album
- J.K. Rowling wishes James Sirius Potter a happy first day at Hogwarts
- Robert Pattinson & Dane DeHaan recreate James Dean's famous photo
- Jimmy Kimmel breaks down the Miley Cyrus/Nicki Minaj confrontation using emojis
- New Bond author says Idris Elba is ‘too street’ to play 007
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!