Writer-director Larry Bishop has filled the jaw-droppingly incoherent crime-film parody Mad Dog Time with familiar faces, including Jeff Goldblum as a suave gangster, Richard Dreyfuss as a kingpin who’s supposed to have multiple personalities but barely projects one, and Burt Reynolds, with what seems like way too many upper teeth. Plus Ellen Barkin, Gabriel Byrne, and, in blink-fast cameos, Richard Pryor and the auteur’s father, Joey Bishop. The script is so lame, its idea of a joke is to have a character refer to angina as vagina. It’s so lame, we’re expected to laugh when Barkin gets exasperated that three characters’ names — Vic, Mick, and Nick — rhyme. The cast yammer nonsensically and shoot holes in each other’s skulls. In these standoff shoot-‘em-ups, the film becomes Reservoir Dogs with rabies. D-
Genre: Comedy, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Ellen Barkin, Joey Bishop, Gabriel Byrne, Richard Dreyfuss, Larry Bishop, Richard Pryor, Burt Reynolds, Jeff Goldblum, Billy Idol, Richard Pryor; Director: Larry Bishop; Runtime (in minutes): 93; MPAA Rating: R
Posted November 22 1996 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Underground' adds Aisha Hinds as Harriet Tubman for season 2
- '90210' actress wants actors' ages off casting sites to prevent ageism
- Doug Liman to direct 'Justice League Dark' for Warner Bros.
- PaleyFest: Made in NY to feature 'Daily Show,' 'Homeland,' 'Elementary'
- Hear a never-released George Carlin bit about hating the police
- The Weeknd teases new music
- Jennifer Holliday joining 'The Color Purple' revival
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...