Not a John Hughes movie, but Jingle All the Way’s got the Hughes boffo holiday formula down pat: smash-and-grab slapstick plus insults plus a ”heartwarming” family-values climax — all served up in bright, shiny TV-commercial color. Arnold Schwarzenegger plays an overworked, absentee dad hysterically combing the Twin Cities on Christmas Eve to find his son a Turbo Man action figure, the hottest gift sensation since the Cabbage Patch Kids. (Naturally, the doll has been sold out since Thanksgiving.) Arnold leaps, bounds, and crashes through the Mall of America. He fights off a rival dad (Sinbad, whose idea of being funny is grinning) and gets in a brawl with an army of con-men Santas (led by James Belushi). A ”satire” of frenzied consumerism that’s really a barely ironic assertion of it, Jingle All the Way makes you feel like you’re trapped at Kmart during a blue-light special. For all its garishness, though, the film is punchy and fast, and it has an engagingly preposterous cheeseball climax, with Schwarzenegger, in full Turbo Man regalia, zooming through the skies like a consumer-king Rocketeer. C+
Jingle All the Way Not a John Hughes movie, but Jingle All the Way's got the Hughes boffo holiday formula down pat: smash-and-grab slapstick plus...Jingle All the WayComedyPT89MPG Not a John Hughes movie, but Jingle All the Way's got the Hughes boffo holiday formula down pat: smash-and-grab slapstick plus...1996-12-06Rita Wilson1492 Pictures
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Phil Hartman, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sinbad, Rita Wilson; Director: Brian Levant; Runtime (in minutes): 89; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: 1492 Pictures
Posted December 6 1996 — 12:00 AM EST
- Leonard Nimoy's Mr. Spock: A tribute to the humane spirit
- 'McFarland, USA' and the neutering of sports movies
- Leonard Nimoy: 9 'I Am Not Spock' TV roles
- Look, but don't retouch? Female celeb photo debate
- Margot Robbie's 'Focus' audition, a.k.a. 'the craziest 24 hours of my life'
- 'Focus' is weekend's No. 1 movie; 'Fifty Shades of Grey' drops to No. 4
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?