In Chain Reaction, Keanu Reeves is barely believable as a bright lab assistant who stumbles upon the key to a new energy source — and he’s only slightly more convincing after that discovery turns him into an action hero on the run. Pursued by shadowy CIA types, Reeves musters all the intensity of a checkout clerk bagging groceries. Or maybe he’s just dazed and confused by a murky conspiracy plot that’ll have you rewinding as you try to decipher who’s doing what and why. But you’d be wise to stick to the chase, which action auteur Andrew Davis (The Fugitive) has directed at a hurtling pace that reinforces the movie’s title. His showstopping scenes — including a lab explosion that lights up half of Chicago — will always belong on the big screen, but their kinetic pop comes across on any size TV. B-
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Action/Adventure; Starring: Morgan Freeman, Keanu Reeves, Rachel Weisz; Director: Andrew Davis; Author: Michael Bortman; Runtime (in minutes): 106; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Fox Home Video
Posted December 13 1996 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Tomorrowland': What did the critics think?
- 'Golan the Insatiable' with Aubrey Plaza and Rob Riggle: First Look trailer
- Amy Schumer and Paul Feig to pair up for new comedy
- 'Outlander,' 'SVU,' 'Graceland,' more fresh TV spoilers
- 'Supergirl' leaked to piracy sites
- Read your way through New Orleans
- The 50 Most Watched Broadcast Shows of 2014-15
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!