In Chain Reaction, Keanu Reeves is barely believable as a bright lab assistant who stumbles upon the key to a new energy source — and he’s only slightly more convincing after that discovery turns him into an action hero on the run. Pursued by shadowy CIA types, Reeves musters all the intensity of a checkout clerk bagging groceries. Or maybe he’s just dazed and confused by a murky conspiracy plot that’ll have you rewinding as you try to decipher who’s doing what and why. But you’d be wise to stick to the chase, which action auteur Andrew Davis (The Fugitive) has directed at a hurtling pace that reinforces the movie’s title. His showstopping scenes — including a lab explosion that lights up half of Chicago — will always belong on the big screen, but their kinetic pop comes across on any size TV. B-
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Action/Adventure; Starring: Morgan Freeman, Keanu Reeves, Rachel Weisz; Director: Andrew Davis; Author: Michael Bortman; Runtime (in minutes): 106; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Fox Home Video
Posted December 13 1996 — 12:00 AM EST
- Chris Rock announces first stand-up tour in 9 years
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' trailer: Humans and Transformers face off
- George R.R. Martin on 'Winds of Winter': 'Things are getting worse'
- 'Green Hornet' star Van Williams dies at 82
- 'Baywatch' is hitting the beach on Memorial Day weekend
- Beyoncé was already a star at age 10, unearthed footage proves
- See Madonna twerk to 'Bitch I'm Madonna' on Carpool Karaoke
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday