Intended as both an extended retort to critics who say he’s lost his touch and a declaration of freedom from his former label (Warner Bros.), Prince’s three-hour, triple-CD set Emancipation is somewhat less than the wall-to-wall tour de force our man no doubt envisioned. Which isn’t to say that there’s not easily, oh, an hour’s worth of top shelf material here. Serving up juicy bubblegum funk (”Sex in the Summer”), evoking the swing era (”Courtin’ Time”), impersonating a power pop band with a Santana fixation (”Damned If I Do”), or covering his fave falsetto-soul oldies (not to mention Joan Osborne’s ”One of Us”), the Artist again bowls us over with the sheer breadth of his freewheeling eclecticism. The major sticking point is the so-so dance tracks, which rattle on and on to little purpose. As impressive as much of it is, Emancipation would feel a lot more liberating if it were freed of the perky filler the Artist seems to craft so effortlessly. B
Emancipation Intended as both an extended retort to critics who say he's lost his touch and a declaration of freedom from his former label (Warner Bros.), Prince's...EmancipationR&B Intended as both an extended retort to critics who say he's lost his touch and a declaration of freedom from his former label (Warner Bros.), Prince's...1996-12-13
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Prince
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Karen O honors journalist Nellie Bly with an original song
- Sam Smith cancels Tokyo, Manila tour dates
- Watch Vance Joy cover Taylor Swift's 'I Know Places'
- 'Scandal' sneak peek: How far will Olivia go to take down Rowan?
- Lauryn Hill cancels Israel show
- 'iZombie' exclusive clip: Liv tries to get Clive to open up about his love life
- The Strain: First season 2 trailer declares war on vamps
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Gisele Bündchen, Patrick Dempsey, Rosamund Pike & More!