Dressed in a South Seas wardrobe of caftans and kimonos, Brando literally billows as the deranged Dr. Moreau, who oversees his island of half-human experiments like some weird mother hen. Meanwhile, Kilmer, as Moreau’s fellow mad scientist, appears devoted to outmugging the master. And he nearly succeeds when he does a Brando impression that is almost worth the price of a rental. Yet the rest of this remake is a study in cacophonous chaos. The closer those beasties come to taking over, the more deafening The Island of Dr. Moreau becomes — and the less sense it makes. Fans of Stan Winston’s monster-makeup wizardry may want to rent this rip-off for some cheap thrills. Everyone else should stick with the 1933 original, Island of Lost Souls, a really creepy creep show.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Action/Adventure, Horror; Starring: Fairuza Balk, Marlon Brando, Val Kilmer, David Thewlis, Nelson De La Rosa, Ron Perlman; Director: John Frankenheimer; Author: Ron Hutchinson, Richard Stanley, H.G. Wells; Release Date Wide: 08/23/1996; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: New Line Studios
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Can you match these hit songs with the musicians who wrote them?
- Watch Coach freak out during sex ed in 'New Girl' clip
- Average movie ticket price drops to $8.12 in first quarter
- On the Books: Drax the Destroyer of 'Guardians of the Galaxy' gets his own comic book
- Watch the new music video for Jamie xx's 'Gosh'
- 'Unauthorized Full House' a go at Lifetime
- Watch the first trailer for 'Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell'