Enthusiastic as one might be that Jack Lemmon has found a new lease on movie life with his Grumpy Old Men series, the funny-crankpots genre wears mighty thin on this road trip. In My Fellow Republicans, Lemmon plays a frugal, Bush-type Republican ex-president, James Garner (grumpy old Maverick guy) a skirt-chasing Clinton-type Democratic ex-president, and the two find themselves on the run from a scandal that may have been stirred up by Dan Aykroyd (grumpy, middle-aged Ghostbusters guy), the sitting commander-in-chief. Some of the grumpiest lines from one ex to another: ”You’re a whore, admit it.” ”Screw you.” ”Who am I, f—-n’ MacGyver?” (Actually, that one is funny.) The supporting cast is promising — John Heard as a Dan Quayle-style Vice President, Sela Ward, Marg Helgenberger, even grumpy old Lauren Bacall — but the antics (jokes about the Japanese, penis names, gay Secret Service agents, and the lyrics to ”Hail to the Chief”) are about as tired as a stack of position papers on election finance reform. Eventually Lemmon and Garner run down their engines and are left looking like a couple of nice old actors stranded by their campaign managers.
My Fellow AmericansEnthusiastic as one might be that Jack Lemmon has found a new lease on movie life with his Grumpy Old Men series, the funny-crankpots genre...My Fellow AmericansEnthusiastic as one might be that Jack Lemmon has found a new lease on movie life with his Grumpy Old Men series, the funny-crankpots genre...1997-01-10Dan AykroydLauren BacallSela WardBradley Whitford
Starring: James Garner, Jack Lemmon; Starring: Dan Aykroyd, Lauren Bacall, Sela Ward, Bradley Whitford; Director: Peter Segal
Posted January 10 1997 — 12:00 AM EST
- Lin-Manuel Miranda live-tweeted commentary for 'Hamilton's America'
- J.K. Rowling loves Amy Schumer's book
- Chris Pratt encourages people to go outside and look for trolls
- Kanye West scored Kardashian family movies to 'Only One' for Kim's birthday
- 'Once Upon a Time' star says Robin Hood return provides closure
- Jason Sudeikis duets with Harry Connick Jr. as Harry Connick Jr.
- Chris Pine cast in Ava DuVernay's 'A Wrinkle in Time'