Enthusiastic as one might be that Jack Lemmon has found a new lease on movie life with his Grumpy Old Men series, the funny-crankpots genre wears mighty thin on this road trip. In My Fellow Republicans, Lemmon plays a frugal, Bush-type Republican ex-president, James Garner (grumpy old Maverick guy) a skirt-chasing Clinton-type Democratic ex-president, and the two find themselves on the run from a scandal that may have been stirred up by Dan Aykroyd (grumpy, middle-aged Ghostbusters guy), the sitting commander-in-chief. Some of the grumpiest lines from one ex to another: ”You’re a whore, admit it.” ”Screw you.” ”Who am I, f—-n’ MacGyver?” (Actually, that one is funny.) The supporting cast is promising — John Heard as a Dan Quayle-style Vice President, Sela Ward, Marg Helgenberger, even grumpy old Lauren Bacall — but the antics (jokes about the Japanese, penis names, gay Secret Service agents, and the lyrics to ”Hail to the Chief”) are about as tired as a stack of position papers on election finance reform. Eventually Lemmon and Garner run down their engines and are left looking like a couple of nice old actors stranded by their campaign managers.
My Fellow AmericansEnthusiastic as one might be that Jack Lemmon has found a new lease on movie life with his Grumpy Old Men series, the funny-crankpots genre...My Fellow AmericansEnthusiastic as one might be that Jack Lemmon has found a new lease on movie life with his Grumpy Old Men series, the funny-crankpots genre...1997-01-10Dan AykroydLauren BacallSela WardBradley Whitford
Starring: James Garner, Jack Lemmon; Starring: Dan Aykroyd, Lauren Bacall, Sela Ward, Bradley Whitford; Director: Peter Segal
Posted January 10 1997 — 12:00 AM EST
- Vanessa Bayer shares backstage photos of Jennifer Aniston on 'SNL'
- Box office: 'Moana' tops for second week, Disney sets industry record
- Marvel's 'Luke Cage' renewed for season 2
- Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards: See the list of winners
- Hollywood responds to 'Last Tango in Paris' rape scene controversy
- Ezra Koenig gives John Lennon's 'Imagine' a 'Seinfeld'-themed makeover
- Morrissey cancels remaining tour dates
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big