A fine, nuanced portrait of a middle-class Texas family that also happens to be a cartoon from the man who gave us Beavis and Butt-head, KING OF THE HILL (Fox, Sundays, 8:30-9 p.m.) is both extremely funny and intelligent. Mike Judge and cocreator Greg Daniels (The Simpsons, Seinfeld) offer Hank Hill, good husband and well-meaning father, a little dim and short-tempered, perplexed by anything in life that can’t be greased with a little WD-40. Judge and Daniels extract humor from the mundane – Little League games, changing a spark plug – and, most impressively, don’t use the Texas twang for a cheap laugh. The animation is as intentionally flat and inexpressive as it is in Beavis and Butt-head, with the same paradoxical effect: Very quickly, these vividly written, barely stick figures come to life as three-dimensional humans confronting existence with deadpan glares. Having read the script, I can’t wait to see the episode in which Hank takes up smoking; it should offer up as many yuks as you’ll find in any live-action sitcom. It’s always tough to get adults to watch prime-time cartoons, and it’s adults who’ll appreciate King, so pairing this show with The Simpsons is a smart idea.
King of the Hill A fine, nuanced portrait of a middle-class Texas family that also happens to be a cartoon from the man who gave us Beavis and Butt-head, KING OF THE...King of the HillComedy, Cartoons/Animation A fine, nuanced portrait of a middle-class Texas family that also happens to be a cartoon from the man who gave us Beavis and Butt-head, KING OF THE...1997-01-17
Genre: Comedy, Cartoons/Animation; Starring: Mike Judge, Brittany Murphy, Kathy Najimy, Pamela Segall; Broadcaster: Fox
Posted January 17 1997 — 12:00 AM EST
- Stephen King releases 'Drunken Fireworks' audiobook
- Casting Net: Julia Roberts signs on for 'Mother’s Day'
- 'Parks and Rec' alum Retta will host the 'Orphan Black' panel at Comic-Con
- Original Mickey Mouse Club to reunite at Disney's D23
- Apple's appeal denied in ebook antitrust case
- 'Rocky' spinoff 'Creed': First trailer's here
- Apple's Beats 1 radio will be censoring music
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files': David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!