In Unhook the Stars, Nick Cassavetes cooks up a star turn for his mother, Gena Rowlands: She plays Mildred, an independent-minded suburban widow — a kind of Aurora Greenway lite — with a square, married son and a furiously alienated grown daughter who screams a lot and moves out of the house. Mildred is unfazed, however; her worldview is widened by her relationship with a slatternly, sewer-mouthed neighbor (Marisa Tomei, who must fight, fight, fight against cutesiness, now and forever) and, particularly, with the younger woman’s sweet, somber-faced little son (Jake Lloyd). Rowlands is swell in that sexy-no-nonsense-older-woman role she does so well (Gerard Depardieu appears pleasantly but improbably as a French Canadian truck driver smitten by Mildred’s classy, sassy self). But this adoring character study of a woman under nobody’s influence (cowritten by Cassavetes and Helen Caldwell) is too long on sentimentality, and far too long on Tomei’s stylized tough chick routine.
Unhook the StarsIn Unhook the Stars, Nick Cassavetes cooks up a star turn for his mother, Gena Rowlands: She plays Mildred, an independent-minded...Unhook the StarsIn Unhook the Stars, Nick Cassavetes cooks up a star turn for his mother, Gena Rowlands: She plays Mildred, an independent-minded...1997-02-21Gerard DepardieuMoira KellyJake Lloyd
Starring: Gena Rowlands, Marisa Tomei; Starring: Gerard Depardieu, Moira Kelly, Jake Lloyd; Director: Nick Cassavetes
Posted February 21 1997 — 12:00 AM EST
- Drake is releasing more new music in December
- Charlie Puth cancels remainder of tour due to sickness
- Universal Studios Japan is getting an entire 'Minions'-themed area
- President Obama dances to 'Hotline Bling' with Usher, Janelle Monáe
- Bradley Cooper visited Lady Gaga on the set of 'Saturday Night Live'
- Viola Davis to campaign in supporting actress category for 'Fences'
- DJ Khaled documented his son's birth on Snapchat