This new deluxe Criterion Collection version of the charming fairy-tale spoof The Princess Bride may be too much of a good thing. Yes, the Dolby Surround Sound and the picture quality (freeze-frameable standard play) are spectacular. And yes, the alternate-audio-track reminiscences by director Rob Reiner, screenwriter William Goldman, and costar Billy Crystal inform and amuse (select tidbit: Had the film been made in the early ’70s, when Goldman wrote the script, a pre-”Superman” Christopher Reeve would have played the romantic lead). Still, the package is pricey; you might live just as happily ever after if you buy Voyager’s previous single-disc edition, sans extras, at half the cost.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Comedy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Andre the Giant, Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin, Robin Wright, Wallace Shawn, Billy Crystal, Peter Falk, Christopher Guest, Carol Kane, Chris Sarandon, Fred Savage; Director: Rob Reiner; Author: William Goldman; Runtime (in minutes): 98; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted March 28 1997 — 12:00 AM EST
- Lin-Manuel Miranda live-tweeted commentary for 'Hamilton's America'
- J.K. Rowling loves Amy Schumer's book
- Chris Pratt encourages people to go outside and look for trolls
- Kanye West scored Kardashian family movies to 'Only One' for Kim's birthday
- 'Once Upon a Time' star says Robin Hood return provides closure
- Jason Sudeikis duets with Harry Connick Jr. as Harry Connick Jr.
- Chris Pine cast in Ava DuVernay's 'A Wrinkle in Time'