Not since the literary tap dancing of Lillian Hellman has the rise and fall of Stalinist Communism been treated with such whimsical chutzpah. Novice Australian writer-director Peter Duncan posits a Monty Pythonesque world in which a fervent down under believer in the workers’ revolution (Judy Davis, going at it with gusto) is invited in 1949 to visit Joseph Stalin (F. Murray Abraham) in Moscow — and returns home pregnant with the Soviet leader’s love child. She marries a sweet, tolerant guy (Oscar winner Geoffrey Rush, acting perfectly normal). She gives birth to a boy, Joe. And the grown son (Oscar and Lucinda’s Richard Roxburgh) turns out to be, shall we say, not what Mum hoped for. (Think Alex P. Keaton, the conservative son of Family Ties liberals, times a hundred.) Children of the Revolution bumps into a few dead spots along its irreverent way: Sam Neill, as an all-purpose informer, is a character without portfolio, and the uneven pacing sometimes resembles the music of Prokofiev during his Soviet period. But casual sophistication and wiggy Australian self-awareness give this product of unreconstructed bourgeois decadence its idiosyncratic charm. B+
Children of the Revolution Not since the literary tap dancing of Lillian Hellman has the rise and fall of Stalinist Communism been treated with such whimsical chutzpah. Novice...Children of the RevolutionComedyR Not since the literary tap dancing of Lillian Hellman has the rise and fall of Stalinist Communism been treated with such whimsical chutzpah. Novice...1997-05-09Geoffrey Rush
Genre: Comedy; Starring: F. Murray Abraham, Judy Davis, Sam Neill, Richard Roxburgh, Geoffrey Rush, Geoffrey Rush; MPAA Rating: R
Posted May 9 1997 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Oscar producers won't return; Academy to search for new showrunners
- NBC reviving Coach with Craig T. Nelson
- '12 Monkeys' boss answers some burning questions
- 'The Founder' starring Michael Keaton gets November 2016 release
- 'American Idol' guest mentor Boy George picks the frontrunners of the Top 9
- Sherlock creator: Making U.S. fans wait longer is 'bloody nonsense'
- Marvel changes the Avengers lineup, adding Ms. Marvel and Miles Morales
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!