If Roger Corman were still in the business of giving a presentable spin to pulp-exploitation concepts, he might have leapt for this story of 14-year-old orphan twins — sister Lolitas — who walk away from the car crash that killed their parents, head for Kentucky, and end up on a dilapidated Army base full of big-bad-wolf recruits. (At last, a coming-of-age tale everyone can relate to!) The girls have made a lifelong pact — no boys — that is doomed to failure, but it takes a while for the erotic pressure cooker to come to a boil. The hostile, tomboyish Rosie (Daisy Eagan) sublimates her sexual energy through gunplay, hooking up with a stern officer who takes her out for target practice. But the precocious, nubile-beautiful Violet (Monica Keena) can’t resist the lure of nature, flirting with — and finally falling into bed with — the base’s hunky groundskeeper (Gordon Currie). Writer-director Mo Ogrodnik films her two stars with a mixture of voyeurism and solemn art-minded curiosity. Her dawdling pretensions have the dual effect of highlighting and, at the same time, undercutting the drive-in-movie sleaziness of her material. With discreet yet teasing nudity, Ripe flaunts its ”dangerous” exploration of underage sexuality. The trouble is, the more lurid the film grows, the more preposterous as well. The violent catharsis feels made of tin. C
Ripe If Roger Corman were still in the business of giving a presentable spin to pulp-exploitation concepts, he might have leapt for this story of 14-year-old...Ripe If Roger Corman were still in the business of giving a presentable spin to pulp-exploitation concepts, he might have leapt for this story of 14-year-old...1997-05-16Gordon Currie
Starring: Daisy Eagan, Monica Keena; Starring: Gordon Currie; Director: Mo Ogrodnik
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Star Wars: Rogue One' will depict raid to steal original Death Star plans
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis on present (two Tribeca films), past ('SNL'), and future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!