Nicely timed to Katharine Hepburn’s 90th birthday on May 12, Christopher Andersen’s tale, An Affair to Remember, thoroughly chronicles the oft-told, rarely analyzed 26-year affair between Hepburn and the married Spencer Tracy. To Andersen’s credit, though a Hepburn fan — he named a daughter Kate — he doesn’t whitewash Tracy’s drinking binges, his violent outbursts, his verbal abuse, and Hepburn’s seemingly masochistic embrace of him. Though Andersen insists that Hepburn wasn’t a victim, that the two brought out the best in each other, his description of her as Tracy’s ”nursemaid” makes you think the book’s subtitle should be Smart Women, Foolish Choices. B+
An Affair To Remember Nicely timed to Katharine Hepburn's 90th birthday on May 12, Christopher Andersen's tale, An Affair to Remember, thoroughly...An Affair To RememberBiographyChristopher Andersen Nicely timed to Katharine Hepburn's 90th birthday on May 12, Christopher Andersen's tale, An Affair to Remember, thoroughly...1997-05-23William Morrow
Genre: Biography; Author: Christopher Andersen; Publisher: William Morrow
Posted May 23 1997 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bob Dylan thanks Nobel Prize committee for honoring his songs as literature
- Chris Pratt says his son thinks acting is 'stupid'
- 'Assassin's Creed': Final trailer has plenty of new footage
- Louis Tomlinson debuts new song on ‘X Factor’ days after mom’s death
- 'Insidious: Chapter 4' first look sees Lin Shaye facing her demons
- 'Sherlock' intense season 4 trailer: 'I love you'
- Patti Smith covers Bob Dylan at Nobel Prize ceremony