Wearing heavy dark eye shadow that makes her look like a blond racoon, latter-day Doris Day Meg Ryan is ludicrously miscast as a tough-talkin’ biker chick in this distasteful romantic comedy. Ryan hooks up with a hayseed astronomer (Matthew Broderick, coasting on his charm) so they can spy on their respective, romantically entwined exes (Tcheky Karyo and Kelly Preston). Addicted to Love commits the cardinal sin of too many modern movies: It never gives the audience a clue why any of these people were ever attracted to one another in the first place. First-time director Griffin Dunne cribs eye-catching visual tricks from Martin Scorsese (who directed him in 1985’s After Hours), but there’s only so much he can do with a twisted script that should’ve been called Stalkers: A Love Story. D+
Addicted to Love Wearing heavy dark eye shadow that makes her look like a blond racoon, latter-day Doris Day Meg Ryan is ludicrously miscast as a tough-talkin' biker...Addicted to LoveComedy, RomanceRobert Gordon (Writer)R Wearing heavy dark eye shadow that makes her look like a blond racoon, latter-day Doris Day Meg Ryan is ludicrously miscast as a tough-talkin' biker...1997-05-30Dominick DunneMaureen StapletonDominick Dunne, Maureen Stapleton
Genre: Comedy, Romance; Starring: Matthew Broderick, Kelly Preston, Meg Ryan, Tcheky Karyo, Dominick Dunne, Maureen Stapleton; Director: Griffin Dunne; Author: Robert Gordon (Writer); MPAA Rating: R
Posted May 30 1997 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!