Lars Von Trier’s deservedly acclaimed drama, Breaking the Waves, about a Scottish naif (Emily Watson) who goes to great, sometimes degrading lengths to save the life of her paralyzed husband (Stellan Skarsgard) is a different experience on video. Although the wide-screen transfer (it’s also available in a fullscreen edition) preserves Robby Muller’s restless, probing handheld cinematography, the film’s unusual colors and textures (particularly the striking interludes that begin its eight sections) sometimes look washed out or indistinct on the tube. What’s not diminished in the least are Watson’s naked, Oscar-nominated performance and an impassioned narrative that recalls silent cinema at its best (think Lillian Gish in her D.W. Griffith triumphs). In an age of ironic and moronic entertainment, this film is something of a miracle. A
Breaking the Waves Lars Von Trier's deservedly acclaimed drama, Breaking the Waves, about a Scottish naif (Emily Watson) who goes to great, sometimes...Breaking the WavesDramaLars von TrierPT159MR Lars Von Trier's deservedly acclaimed drama, Breaking the Waves, about a Scottish naif (Emily Watson) who goes to great, sometimes...1997-06-06
Genre: Drama; Starring: Katrin Cartlidge, Stellan Skarsgard, Lars von Trier, Emily Watson; Director: Lars von Trier; Author: Lars von Trier; Runtime (in minutes): 159; MPAA Rating: R
Posted June 6 1997 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How Todrick Hall hopes to inspire others through his new show, 'Todrick'
- See a snippet of Queen Latifah's 19-year-old 'Bessie' screen test
- Here's how Jaden Smith reacted to Kanye's VMAs speech
- Jeff Probst reveals the players he's surprised got voted into 'Survivor'
- Michael Jordan's 'Space Jam' uniform heading for auction
- Get lost in Hippo Campus' new tune 'The Halocline'
- Nicki Minaj and Taylor Swift continued their VMAs love fest on Twitter
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!