TV Land designed its ”Summer Blockbusters” stunt (Saturdays and Sundays, 6-8 p.m. and midnight-2 a.m.) to highlight the early TV work of four women starring in some of this season’s most highly touted feature films. Oops. The first two contenders, Sandra Bullock and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, have seen their big-screen efforts (Speed 2: Cruise Control and Fathers’ Day, respectively) tank at the box office. TV Land showcases Bullock in NBC’s short-lived 1990 sitcom version of Working Girl (she played the Melanie Griffith role), while Louis-Dreyfus is a yuppie neighbor in the 1988 NBC comedy Day by Day. Time will tell if the other two featured actresses, Jodie Foster and Jennifer Aniston, will meet with the same fate: The returns for their flicks, Contact and Picture Perfect, aren’t in yet. In the meantime, enjoy Foster assuming Tatum O’Neal’s Oscar-winning part in ABC’s 1974 adaptation of Paper Moon and Aniston inheriting Jennifer Grey’s film role as Ferris Bueller’s snippy sister in NBC’s 1990 sitcom. Louis-Dreyfus and Aniston wisely haven’t quit their day jobs; a few more cinematic bombs and Bullock might be back on the small screen as well.
Posted July 18 1997 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Jennifer Lawrence's seventh grade yearbook superlative
- Get a sneak peek at this week's 'RWBY': Exclusive clip
- 'Return of the Living Dead' star Don Calfa dies at 76
- Highlights from J.K. Rowling's 'Fantastic Beasts' screenplay
- 'SNL': Emma Stone, John Cena, Casey Affleck are final hosts of 2016
- Shia LaBeouf calls out Drake, Lil Yachty in new freestyle rap
- T.J. Miller on 'Raiders' and a bag of Cheetos from Steven Spielberg
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big