King Lear comes to Manhattan. In director Daniel Sullivan’s adaptation of Jon Robin Baitz’s play, The Substance of Fire, a widowed publisher (Ron Rifkin) has a passion for truth that stems from hiding from Nazis in a book-filled attic. But his house is crumbling; history doesn’t sell. His kids peg Pop to publish lucrative pulp; the kingdom falls apart. Rifkin’s descent into madness is Shakespearean in scope, but the rest (except Sarah Jessica Parker) are precious. Fire? Duraflame. C-
The Substance of Fire King Lear comes to Manhattan. In director Daniel Sullivan's adaptation of Jon Robin Baitz's play, The Substance of Fire, a widowed...The Substance of Fire King Lear comes to Manhattan. In director Daniel Sullivan's adaptation of Jon Robin Baitz's play, The Substance of Fire, a widowed...1997-07-18Lee GrantSarah Jessica ParkerRon Rifkin
Starring: Tony Goldwyn, Timothy Hutton; Starring: Lee Grant, Sarah Jessica Parker, Ron Rifkin; Director: Daniel Sullivan
Posted July 18 1997 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Avatar: The Last Airbender' and 'Korra' creator previews new graphic novel
- Patton Oswalt, Paul Reubens and more star in Telltale Games' 'Minecraft: Story Mode'
- Mila Kunis, Ashton Kutcher married
- Blur's Damon Albarn carried offstage at Denmark fest
- Someone made a cool trailer for Netflix's 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' -- but it wasn't Netflix
- 'Walking Dead' showrunner: Season 6 scenes may show events referenced but unseen in comics
- Ridley Scott talks turning Philip K. Dick's 'The Man in the High Castle' into 10-episode series
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!