King Lear comes to Manhattan. In director Daniel Sullivan’s adaptation of Jon Robin Baitz’s play, The Substance of Fire, a widowed publisher (Ron Rifkin) has a passion for truth that stems from hiding from Nazis in a book-filled attic. But his house is crumbling; history doesn’t sell. His kids peg Pop to publish lucrative pulp; the kingdom falls apart. Rifkin’s descent into madness is Shakespearean in scope, but the rest (except Sarah Jessica Parker) are precious. Fire? Duraflame. C-
The Substance of Fire King Lear comes to Manhattan. In director Daniel Sullivan's adaptation of Jon Robin Baitz's play, The Substance of Fire, a widowed...The Substance of Fire King Lear comes to Manhattan. In director Daniel Sullivan's adaptation of Jon Robin Baitz's play, The Substance of Fire, a widowed...1997-07-18Lee GrantSarah Jessica ParkerRon Rifkin
Starring: Tony Goldwyn, Timothy Hutton; Starring: Lee Grant, Sarah Jessica Parker, Ron Rifkin; Director: Daniel Sullivan
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Inside Amy Schumer' renewed
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Our audience with returning queen
- 'Bachelorette' first promo: This crazytown ain't big enough for the both of them
- 'Originals' boss breaks down latest shockers, previews a devastating finale
- 'Ant-Man' gets a tiny billboard campaign
- Django Django unveil trippy, magenta-hued video for 'Beginning to Fade'
- 'Agents of SHIELD' spinoff to star Adrianne Palicki, Nick Blood
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Katy Perry, Tim & Faith, Blake Lively and More!