King Lear comes to Manhattan. In director Daniel Sullivan’s adaptation of Jon Robin Baitz’s play, The Substance of Fire, a widowed publisher (Ron Rifkin) has a passion for truth that stems from hiding from Nazis in a book-filled attic. But his house is crumbling; history doesn’t sell. His kids peg Pop to publish lucrative pulp; the kingdom falls apart. Rifkin’s descent into madness is Shakespearean in scope, but the rest (except Sarah Jessica Parker) are precious. Fire? Duraflame. C-
The Substance of Fire King Lear comes to Manhattan. In director Daniel Sullivan's adaptation of Jon Robin Baitz's play, The Substance of Fire, a widowed...The Substance of Fire King Lear comes to Manhattan. In director Daniel Sullivan's adaptation of Jon Robin Baitz's play, The Substance of Fire, a widowed...1997-07-18Lee GrantSarah Jessica ParkerRon Rifkin
Starring: Tony Goldwyn, Timothy Hutton; Starring: Lee Grant, Sarah Jessica Parker, Ron Rifkin; Director: Daniel Sullivan
Posted July 18 1997 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!