It’s 1864, and Queen Victoria (Judi Dench), still disconsolate over the death of her husband, Prince Albert, three years earlier, has plunged into a monumental funk. She won’t go out in public, won’t engage her most intimate advisers, won’t rule. Only one man, it seems, can return her to her senses: John Brown (Billy Connolly), the royal family’s devoted Scottish hunting guide. He’s a lowly servant, but also tall, robust, and fearless. He takes guff from no one, not even the queen, and under his spell she begins to thaw. At least, that’s the idea behind John Madden’s elegant yet surprisingly remote royal-court drama, a variation on The Madness of King George (it might be called The Sadness of Queen Victoria). Judi Dench is certainly the right actress to play Victoria. She marshals an armada of frowns and winces, a frightening authority that makes the queen, in her bulky splendor, seem rooted to the earth. Billy Connolly’s performance is less successful. His John Brown is a petty tyrant — he’s like Sean Connery without the charisma — and so even as the film teases us with the underlying ”sensuality” of the relationship, it fails to portray it as a convincing human bond. Mrs. Brown is stately yet depressed, like Victoria. The film really perks up only when Antony Sher is on screen as Prime Minister Disraeli. He’s a schemer to relish — a Machiavellian imp. C+
Mrs. Brown It's 1864, and Queen Victoria (Judi Dench), still disconsolate over the death of her husband, Prince Albert, three years earlier, has plunged into a...Mrs. BrownDrama, HistoricalPG It's 1864, and Queen Victoria (Judi Dench), still disconsolate over the death of her husband, Prince Albert, three years earlier, has plunged into a...1997-07-25
Genre: Drama, Historical; Starring: Billy Connolly, Judi Dench, Antony Sher; Director: John Madden (Director); MPAA Rating: PG
Posted July 25 1997 — 12:00 AM EDT
- First Look: Bill Hader, Andy Samberg match wits in 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' season premiere
- Paul McCartney debuts new version of 'Tug of War' from forthcoming reissue -- exclusive
- Austin Mahone shares details of 'more mature' debut record
- Sofia Vergara channels Peg Bundy in Instagram post
- Jimmy Kimmel asks L.A. pedestrians if Barack Obama is a muslim
- Hear the melancholic title track off Patty Griffin's new album 'Servant of Love'
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' queens step into 'Golden Girls' shoes in honor of 30th anniversary
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Alessandra Ambrósio, The Kardashians, Malin Akerman & More!