On her third domestic release, Lisa Stansfield, U.K.-based singer Lisa Stansfield plays her old-school R&B straight — too straight, maybe — unleashing white-soul-queen riffs over disco grooves or pop-soul ballads spiced with horns, strings, and backup vocals. She does right by Phyllis Hyman’s hit ”You Know How to Love Me” with one foot in the happy-face ’70s. The other foot is in the cultural limbo land known as the ’90s. B-
Lead Performer: Lisa Stansfield; Status: In Season
Posted August 1 1997 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters