Just when you’ve written off this deep-space nightmare as a late-summer melange of Alien, Fantastic Voyage, The Shining, and a dozen more forgettable otherworldly thrillers, it unleashes some of the most unsettling horror imagery in years. In 2046, a spaceship voyages beyond Neptune to find out what became of the Event Horizon, an exploratory vessel that vanished into the universe seven years earlier. When the lost ship is discovered, with geysers of blood spattering its walls, we’re cued to expect the arrival of some intergalactic beastie. But the demon turns out to be more abstract than that — and, in its way, much creepier. The ship has been through a black hole and back; in a nifty reversal of Contact, the film suggests that what’s waiting out there in the cosmic void is far more sinister than anything in three dimensions. As the captain, Laurence Fishburne, working with a barely written role, turns himself into a soldier of stoic cool (even his voice is square-jawed), but he is finally staring into the face of hell — a De Sadeian theater of violated flesh, served up in razory shock cuts that dig into your subconscious. Event Horizon could have used a decent script, but the director, Paul Anderson, is a stylist to watch. B-
Event Horizon Just when you've written off this deep-space nightmare as a late-summer melange of Alien, Fantastic Voyage, The Shining,...Event HorizonSci-fi and Fantasy, HorrorR Just when you've written off this deep-space nightmare as a late-summer melange of Alien, Fantastic Voyage, The Shining,...1997-09-05
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Horror; Starring: Laurence Fishburne, Sam Neill, Kathleen Quinlan, Joely Richardson; MPAA Rating: R
Posted September 5 1997 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!