In Hollywood, you’re no one unless you’re a player — or an assistant to one. Given that, the Learning Annex offers a semi-regular seminar in New York and L.A. called ”Become a Celebrity Personal Assistant.” Some skinny picked up at an L.A. workshop: The average assistant is female, 38, earns $42,600 a year, and works 10 hours a day, often seven days a week. Pagers are de rigueur — Kim Basinger’s PA, Rena Haskins, was beeped twice during the three-hour class. And sometimes the duties can be questionable. ”Some assistants have been asked to secure prostitutes and roll joints,” cautions course moderator Rita Tateel, chief adviser to the Association of Celebrity Personal Assistants. Still, there are perks. When Basinger took ill, Haskins got to be Alec Baldwin’s date at the Ghosts of Mississippi premiere. And Fernando Cubillas, Edward James Olmos’ assistant, played opposite the actor in Selena. How do you become a celebrity assistant? The pros suggest getting to know stars by taking an entry-level job at a talent agency, management company, or PR firm. Another avenue: Call celebrity assistants to see if they need…an assistant.
Posted September 12 1997 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Country singer Granger Smith hospitalized after on stage fall
- New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' trailer has lots of Baby Groot
- Netflix announces 'Sense8' Christmas special, season 2 premiere dates
- 'The Last of Us Part II' reveal trailer shows matured Ellie and Joel
- Madonna jokes with Sean Penn about remarrying to raise money for charity
- 'Last Tango in Paris' director admits butter rape scene wasn't consensual
- 'Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite' will pit Iron Man against Megaman X in 2017
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big