Once every 20 minutes or so in this mythical sword-clanging, beast-battling, low-rent comic book of a yarn, one leading character or other lets rip a bit of howler dialogue as if to signal to the audience, ”Yeah, whatever, I’m just glad to be in showbiz.” But every 20 minutes isn’t frequent enough to establish this semisoft-cheese version of a Conan the Barbarian setup as camp — yet too often to let the thing fly on its own Dungeons & Dragons aesthetic. Kevin Sorbo, the bare-chested star of TV’s Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, keeps his shirt off as Kull, a barbarian with sensitive-guy ideas about slavery (he’s against it) and women (he’s for ‘em), who becomes ruler of the fantasy kingdom of Valusia; Tia Carrere flashes her eyes as an extremely well-preserved 3,000-year-old evil spirit with red-for-danger hair. As directed by John Nicolella, the action lurches from battle to darkly lit battle. And then, for no good reason, Harvey Fierstein shows up as a slave-ship owner dressed in a hat Patsy and Edina might have admired on Absolutely Fabulous. Ah, showbiz. D+
Kull the ConquerorOnce every 20 minutes or so in this mythical sword-clanging, beast-battling, low-rent comic book of a yarn, one leading character or other lets rip a ...Kull the ConquerorOnce every 20 minutes or so in this mythical sword-clanging, beast-battling, low-rent comic book of a yarn, one leading character or other lets rip a ...1997-09-12Harvey Fierstein
Starring: Tia Carrere, Kevin Sorbo; Starring: Harvey Fierstein; Director: John Nicolella
Posted September 12 1997 — 12:00 AM EDT
- First Look: Bill Hader, Andy Samberg match wits in 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' season premiere
- Paul McCartney debuts new version of 'Tug of War' from forthcoming reissue -- exclusive
- Austin Mahone shares details of 'more mature' debut record
- Sofia Vergara channels Peg Bundy in Instagram post
- Jimmy Kimmel asks L.A. pedestrians if Barack Obama is a muslim
- Hear the melancholic title track off Patty Griffin's new album 'Servant of Love'
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' queens step into 'Golden Girls' shoes in honor of 30th anniversary
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Alessandra Ambrósio, The Kardashians, Malin Akerman & More!