The book world had dubbed the ’90s the age of the memoir. On the Web, it’s the era of angst — with the searing, sin-filled personal narratives of ordinary folk emerging as digital literature’s best stuff. One of the movement’s grassroots stars is 24-year-old Derek M. Powazek, a San Francisco Web designer and the creator of THE FRAY (www.fray.com), an immaculate website whose first-person stories on such subjects as childhood abuse, alcoholism, and relationships gone awry draw more than 30,000 hits a day. Powazek started the fray last year by requesting stories from his pals, who recruited other friends, and so on, until hundreds of unsolicited manuscripts began filling his E-mailbox every week. Besides favorable mentions in several newspapers and magazines, as well as a nomination for Infi.net’s Cool Site of the Year, the fray’s success has landed Powazek one high-profile website-design job after another. A good thing, too, because the fray is a money-free webzine. ”What I always loved about the Web is that it said to the little guy, ‘Go ahead, here’s your soapbox, you’re important,”’ says Powazek. His newest soapbox: kvetch.com — post your complaints at the home page (www.kvetch.com).
Posted September 19 1997 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Elton John confirms there is 'no truth' to retirement rumors
- Powerful new ad spotlights gun violence warning signs people miss
- Mark Wahlberg feels 'celebrities did, do, and shouldn't' talk about politics
- Jennifer Lawrence blames her butt for almost killing 'Hunger Games’ crew
- Kanye West: 'Things are going better,' says Ryan Seacrest
- Patton Oswalt opens up about being a single father after wife's death
- Matthew Broderick debuts his very own Donald Trump impression
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big