Try this for a B-movie premise, a shameless (and harmless) male fantasy, and a pulpy airplane read come to the screen: Annibal Ramirez, a Cuban-American naval officer who happens to look exactly like the international terrorist Carlos ”The Jackal” Sanchez (Aidan Quinn in both roles), is ordered to withstand brutal hardships while training to impersonate (and thus flush out) the elusive scourge. The unorthodox course is run by a bitter CIA agent (Donald Sutherland in a patented SOB performance) and a weathered Israeli Mossad man (Ben Kingsley in a patented ethnic accent) in The Assignment. How hard are Ramirez’s hardships? Well, at one point the married Navy man is forced — forced! — to take sex lessons from one of Carlos’ beautiful ex-mistresses, who moans and pants about what a fabulous, cruel, potent lover the evil bomber is, how he turns women to quivering jelly, etc., etc. Ooh, such devotion to duty. Everyone does his job well enough in this competent spy thriller (directed by Screamers’ Christian Duguay), and the story moves along at an enjoyable clip through even the most ludicrous bits. Quinn is particularly good when Ramirez worries about inhabiting Carlos’ nasty skin a little too well. And Kingsley actually gets to say ”Oy!” — surely the international exclamation of distress among spies. B-
The AssignmentTry this for a B-movie premise, a shameless (and harmless) male fantasy, and a pulpy airplane read come to the screen: Annibal Ramirez, a Cuban-American...The AssignmentTry this for a B-movie premise, a shameless (and harmless) male fantasy, and a pulpy airplane read come to the screen: Annibal Ramirez, a Cuban-American...1997-10-10
Starring: Ben Kingsley, Aidan Quinn, Donald Sutherland; Director: Christian Duguay
Posted October 10 1997 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Michael Shannon on the theater parts that shaped his career
- Elisabeth Moss to star in Hulu series The Handmaid's Tale
- WATCH: Reid Scott reveals who laughs the most on the set of 'Veep'
- What time is the White House Correspondents Dinner?
- Mario Lopez, Anderson Cooper: Who's replacing Michael Strahan?
- Larry Wilmore gets advice for White House Correspondents' Dinner
- What to Watch This Weekend: 'Veep' hooks up with John Slattery
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch