A kick-ass teenybop creature-feature spectacular. In the techno-fascist future, a group of young soldiers journey to a distant planet to engage in apocalyptic warfare with some very, very big bugs. The main threat is the Arachnids, spider/scorpion hybrids with razory spiked legs that can poke through your chest in an instant. Directed by Paul Verhoeven, this hyperactive death-sport videogame turns its audience into vicarious Terminators. The movie is sensationally exciting, but its hey-kids-let s-put-on-a-war! story line plays like Beverly Hills, 90210 recast as a military-recruitment film for the Third Reich. Starship Troopers could become ground zero for a new generation of thrill junkies the first generation, perhaps, that won t need, or even desire, movie stars.
SEMPER SCI-FI Steely troopers take aim at the creatures that bug them
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, War, Action/Adventure; Starring: Casper Van Dien, Neil Patrick Harris, Dina Meyer, Patrick Muldoon, Denise Richards, Paul Verhoeven; MPAA Rating: R
Posted October 13 1997 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stephen King releases 'Drunken Fireworks' audiobook
- Casting Net: Julia Roberts signs on for 'Mother’s Day'
- 'Parks and Rec' alum Retta will host the 'Orphan Black' panel at Comic-Con
- Original Mickey Mouse Club to reunite at Disney's D23
- Apple's appeal denied in ebook antitrust case
- 'Creed': Watch the first trailer for the 'Rocky' spinoff
- Apple's Beats 1 radio will be censoring music
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!