A kick-ass teenybop creature-feature spectacular. In the techno-fascist future, a group of young soldiers journey to a distant planet to engage in apocalyptic warfare with some very, very big bugs. The main threat is the Arachnids, spider/scorpion hybrids with razory spiked legs that can poke through your chest in an instant. Directed by Paul Verhoeven, this hyperactive death-sport videogame turns its audience into vicarious Terminators. The movie is sensationally exciting, but its hey-kids-let s-put-on-a-war! story line plays like Beverly Hills, 90210 recast as a military-recruitment film for the Third Reich. Starship Troopers could become ground zero for a new generation of thrill junkies the first generation, perhaps, that won t need, or even desire, movie stars.
SEMPER SCI-FI Steely troopers take aim at the creatures that bug them
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, War, Action/Adventure; Starring: Casper Van Dien, Neil Patrick Harris, Dina Meyer, Patrick Muldoon, Denise Richards, Paul Verhoeven; MPAA Rating: R
Posted October 13 1997 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mark Strong on his epic role in 'A View from the Bridge'
- Jennifer Lawrence on the end of 'The Hunger Games'
- Blur frontman Damon Albarn denies Adele feud
- 'The Grinder' creators tease Thanksgiving episode featuring Jason Alexander and Timothy Olyphant
- *NSYNC members react to Adele breaking their sales record
- 'Dames at Sea,' 'Sylvia' to close on Broadway
- 'Quantico' casts three recruits joining midseason