A kick-ass teenybop creature-feature spectacular. In the techno-fascist future, a group of young soldiers journey to a distant planet to engage in apocalyptic warfare with some very, very big bugs. The main threat is the Arachnids, spider/scorpion hybrids with razory spiked legs that can poke through your chest in an instant. Directed by Paul Verhoeven, this hyperactive death-sport videogame turns its audience into vicarious Terminators. The movie is sensationally exciting, but its hey-kids-let s-put-on-a-war! story line plays like Beverly Hills, 90210 recast as a military-recruitment film for the Third Reich. Starship Troopers could become ground zero for a new generation of thrill junkies the first generation, perhaps, that won t need, or even desire, movie stars.
SEMPER SCI-FI Steely troopers take aim at the creatures that bug them
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, War, Action/Adventure; Starring: Casper Van Dien, Neil Patrick Harris, Dina Meyer, Patrick Muldoon, Denise Richards, Paul Verhoeven; MPAA Rating: R
Posted October 13 1997 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Star Wars' to screen in China for first time ever
- Art Garfunkel dings Paul Simon in new interview
- Dust off your crayons: Adult coloring books are here
- Sarah Michelle Gellar and Alyson Hannigan had a 'Buffy' reunion
- Chris Pratt on being a sex symbol: 'Before, I was the sweaty guy who didn't give a s---'
- Munich Film Festival to honor Alexander Payne with retrospective
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!