Paul Thomas Anderson’s epic tale of porn, pleasure, and excess, offers a purer hit of exhilaration than any movie this year. Anderson traces the rise and fall of Eddie Adams (Mark Wahlberg), a 17-year-old San Fernando Valley busboy who becomes Dirk Diggler, the hottest name in the adult-film business. Dirk’s fortunes parallel the shifts in the porn industry, from the bedazzled hedonism of the late ’70s to the capitalist narcissism of the ’80s. For all its bravura, the most shocking aspect of Boogie Nights is its tenderness. Anderson sees the humanity of everyone on screen. At the climax, he stages the most hypnotic scene of the decade, as Dirk and his buddies attempt to rip off a rich, drugged-out jerk. It’s a vision of how pleasure itself became our ultimate addiction. A
Genre: Drama; Starring: Julianne Moore, Burt Reynolds, Mark Wahlberg, Don Cheadle, Heather Graham, Luis Guzman, Philip Baker Hall, Philip Seymour Hoffman, William H. Macy, Alfred Molina, John C. Reilly, Ricky Jay, Melora Walters; Director: Paul Thomas Anderson; Author: Paul Thomas Anderson; Producer (group): Ghoulardi Film Company, Lawrence Gordon Productions, New Line Cinema; Release Date Wide: 10/10/1997; Runtime (in minutes): 155; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': $200+M so far
- Jay Z on Tidal: 'not perfect,' 'determined'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' fans launch petition to bring McDreamy back
- Patrick Dempsey's EW Q&A on 'Grey's' exit: 'Shonda cares deeply about fans and how they will react'
- John Boyega talks 'Star Wars': 'something symbolic about new generation and old coming together'
- 'Furious 7' wins at box office; No. 5 in all-time global earnings
- 'Goodfellas' reunion: 8 'funny' stories from the cast Q&A