Years ago, Ceil Cleveland — a good friend of author Larry McMurtry’s — was the inspiration for Jacy Farrow, the ”blond, flirtatious teen queen” played so fetchingly in The Last Picture Show by Cybill Shepherd. Now, in a kind of ”character strikes back” memoir, she talks about what it was like to grow up female, pretty, and smart in the Happy Days era. Fantasies of marrying Arthur Miller and grooving in Greenwich Village eventually gave way to marriage, children, divorce, and professional success. But it’s the often painful adolescent details — describing what it’s like to mature into the class beauty in a one-picture-show Texas town — that make Whatever Happened to Jacy Farrow? such a charming read. B-
Whatever Happened to Jacy Farrow?Years ago, Ceil Cleveland — a good friend of author Larry McMurtry's — was the inspiration for Jacy Farrow, the ''blond, flirtatious teen...Whatever Happened to Jacy Farrow?MemoirCeil ClevelandYears ago, Ceil Cleveland — a good friend of author Larry McMurtry's — was the inspiration for Jacy Farrow, the ''blond, flirtatious teen...1997-12-12University of North Texas Press
Genre: Memoir; Author: Ceil Cleveland; Publisher: University of North Texas Press
Posted December 12 1997 — 12:00 AM EST
- President Obama smacks down Trump for his Mean Tweet
- Ryan Adams is done covering albums after Taylor Swift's '1989'
- Watch the first two episodes of Hulu's 'Freakish'
- Hanson sang the national anthem the last time Cleveland made the World Series
- 'DWTS' used the 'Outlander' theme song — and it went over big
- Michael Gleason, 'Remington Steele' co-creator, dies at 78
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Can the team work with Daisy and Ghost Rider?