The title Event Horizon sounds like a three-day corporate retreat, and the movie itself slowly lulls the viewer to sleep with its sci-fi/horror unoriginality. Spaceship captain Fishburne and crew — plus mad-any-minute-now scientist Neill — investigate a ghost ship that’s returned from another dimension; when said dimension turns out to actually be hell, the movie plunges into gory pulp goofiness. Still, director Paul Anderson does an impressive job of genetic recombination, cribbing plot elements from Alien, Solaris, Hellraiser, and The Shining, and even specific shots from The Haunting and Don’t Look Now. And on video, the movie’s not a total loss, since the freeze-frame button lets you enjoy every last shot of maggot-encrusted corpses. Will you be having fries with that? C-
Event Horizon The title Event Horizon sounds like a three-day corporate retreat, and the movie itself slowly lulls the viewer to sleep with its sci...Event HorizonSci-fi and Fantasy, HorrorR The title Event Horizon sounds like a three-day corporate retreat, and the movie itself slowly lulls the viewer to sleep with its sci...1998-01-30
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Horror; Starring: Laurence Fishburne, Sam Neill, Kathleen Quinlan, Joely Richardson; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 30 1998 — 12:00 AM EST
- Read an excerpt from Willie Nelson's Christmas book, 'Pretty Paper'
- Candace Cameron Bure is leaving 'The View'
- T-Pain haunts Smosh in 'Ghostmates' trailer — exclusive
- 'Rogue One' star Riz Ahmed raps about 'Star Wars' on 'Tonight Show'
- 'Vampire Diaries' sneak peek: Cade visits Stefan in mid-season finale
- Yoko Ono pays tribute to John Lennon on anniversary of his death
- 'Hairspray Live!': Anna Kendrick, Andy Cohen, and more praise musical
- Finding 'La La Land': Director Damien Chazelle's 15 Influences for His New Musical Romance
- 38 Photos of Ian Somerhalder For His 38th Birthday
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21: Meet Nick's 30 Bachelorettes
- This Is What the 2001 'Ocean's Eleven' Premiere Looked Like
- 17 Star-Studded Celebrity Cookbooks
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk