Action star Harrison Ford, between Indiana Jones movies, stars with Kelly McGillis in Witness, about a homicide detective who takes refuge in Pennsylvania’s Amish country. McGillis will later fall for Tom Cruise in 1986’s testosterone-fueled jet opera Top Gun, then fade from view. While Ford’s next film, 1986’s Mosquito Coast, will be a dud, he’ll become the best-loved actor of his generation; TV viewers enjoy the lifestyles of the rich and infamous with hit prime-time soaps Dynasty and Dallas. Dynasty resident tramp/ fashion plate Heather Locklear will go on to become Melrose Place’s resident vixen/fashion plate in 1992; Topping the best-seller list is Chrysler chief Lee Iacocca’s autobio, Iacocca, a paean to the work ethic and Reaganomics; And in the news, the U.S. jobless rate soars to a sobering 7.3 percent, in hindsight a harbinger of 1987’s coming stock market crash.
Posted January 30 1998 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bob Dylan thanks Nobel Prize committee for honoring his songs as literature
- Chris Pratt says his son thinks acting is 'stupid'
- 'Assassin's Creed': Final trailer has plenty of new footage
- Louis Tomlinson debuts new song on ‘X Factor’ days after mom’s death
- 'Insidious: Chapter 4' first look sees Lin Shaye facing her demons
- 'Sherlock' intense season 4 trailer: 'I love you'
- Patti Smith covers Bob Dylan at Nobel Prize ceremony