At the end of Cruising, Karen Allen, as Al Pacino’s clueless girlfriend, is seen provocatively slipping into his leather jacket and cap — yet few people seemed to notice the dark-haired actress until she socked Harrison Ford in the jaw a year later as a boozing, brawling spitfire to Ford’s Indian Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Since then, however, aside from a John Carpenter sci-fi fantasy (1984’s Starman) and Bill Murray yuletide comedy (1988’s Scrooged), Allen has focused her post-Indy efforts on intimate, less-commercial dramas by noteworthy directors (Paul Newman’s The Glass Menagerie, Steven Soderbergh’s King of the Hill); her Massachusetts yoga studio; and son Nicholas, 7 (from her marriage to former Another World actor Kale Browne, from whom she’s separated). Now 46, Allen stars as an alcoholic mother in the upcoming independent film Falling Sky and is due on Broadway this fall in a new drama, Getting and Spending. As for Cruising, Allen readily admits her dislike for the film. “But playing opposite Al Pacino was an extraordinary opportunity that I couldn’t image passing up,” she says.
Posted February 13 1998 — 12:00 AM EST
- Carpool Karaoke: Lady Gaga sings, James Corden wears meat dress
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Philinda finally going to happen?
- Adele endorses Hillary Clinton at Miami concert
- Stephen Colbert compares Donald Trump to Voldemort
- 'This Is Us': Dan Fogelman breaks down Jack and William revelations
- Trump-inspired 'Law & Order: SVU' episode gets post-election air date
- 'This Is Us': Milo Ventimiglia on Jack's fate
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop