”The summer I killed my father I was 10 years old.” That’s the bold opening confession of this film, and what follows more than lives up to it. Set in a rural Louisiana parish, it’s the story of a well-to-do black family torn apart by jealousy, adultery, and voodoo. At the tale’s center is young Eve (Smollett), who, deeply disturbed by her philandering father (Jackson, also one of the movie’s producers), resorts to local magic to confront the household’s secrets. The Oscar nominations overlooked Eve’s Bayou, including first-time feature director Kasi Lemmons’ luminous script and soap vet Debbi Morgan’s supporting turn as Eve’s psychic aunt. But you shouldn’t. A-
Eve's Bayou ''The summer I killed my father I was 10 years old.'' That's the bold opening confession of this film, and what follows more than lives up to it. Set...Eve's BayouDrama, Mystery and ThrillerR ''The summer I killed my father I was 10 years old.'' That's the bold opening confession of this film, and what follows more than lives up to it. Set...1998-03-06
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Diahann Carroll, Meagan Good, Samuel L. Jackson, Kasi Lemmons, Debbi Morgan, Jurnee Smollett, Lynn Whitfield; Director: Kasi Lemmons; MPAA Rating: R
Posted March 6 1998 — 12:00 AM EST
- Juliette Lewis talks explosive 'Secrets and Lies' finale
- Tom Cruise joins the world of gods and monsters in 'The Mummy' trailer
- 'Once Upon a Time': The hooded figure is revealed!
- Justin Bieber confirms he's single: 'I'm not really looking either'
- 'The Walking Dead' star Steven Yeun marries Joana Pak
- Donald Trump makes cinema great again on hilarious Instagram account
- 'Transformers' teases new trailer in behind-the-scenes clip
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big