Readers of Mike D’Angelo’s reappraisal of The Game in our Jan. 23 issue got quite a charge out of his calling the Michael Douglas suspense flick his favorite movie of 1997. One wrote to say we should dump D’Angelo, pronto; seven said they were grateful that some critic finally understands. What that response bodes for the following is anybody’s guess: Bill Murray’s The Man Who Knew Too Little qualifies as The Game’s comic doppeläanger, the improbable tale of a lonely guy who gets an unusual birthday gift from his younger brother — a chance to role-play in the ”Theatre of Life” — and has numerous scrapes with death as a result. But where The Game shakes Douglas’ millionaire from his emotional shell, Murray’s vacationing video clerk from Des Moines fairly bursts to embrace what turns out to be a real spy caper being played out on the streets of London. Man makes for satisfying farce with a Pink Panther patina, and though not the best comedy of 1997, it is Murray at his irresistible best, in his most confident outing since Groundhog Day. B+
The Man Who Knew Too Little Readers of Mike D'Angelo's reappraisal of The Game in our Jan. 23 issue got quite a charge out of his calling the Michael Douglas suspense...The Man Who Knew Too LittleComedy Readers of Mike D'Angelo's reappraisal of The Game in our Jan. 23 issue got quite a charge out of his calling the Michael Douglas suspense...1998-03-06
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Joanne Whalley, Bill Murray
Posted March 6 1998 — 12:00 AM EST
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!