Even without his metal guise, Leonardo DiCaprio proved elusive at MGM’s The Man in the Iron Mask party, held March 2 at New York City’s Public Library. Avoiding the throngs who roared for him beneath the library’s stone-faced lions, DiCaprio snuck in through a side entrance, briefly dined with his mom, Irmelin, and granny, Helena, then disappeared into a private den on the library’s third floor. As he held court with Romeo & Juliet costar Claire Danes and her boyfriend, Aussie rocker Ben Lee, Mira Sorvino, and Mask costar Gabriel Byrne, partygoers – including Greg Kinnear, Natalie Portman, Elle Macpherson, and even Monica Lewinsky’s lawyer William Ginsburg – discussed how Mask could make Leo king of the box office. ”Two Leos in one movie? I mean, please!” said Elizabeth Berkley, who lost a heel strolling up the red carpet. It could have been worse: Susan Sarandon misplaced a daughter. ”Where did she go?” asked Sarandon of teenage Eva, who’d set out on a hunt of America’s top ‘throb. Hakuna matata, indeed.
Posted March 13 1998 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Colony' adds 'ER' alum in season 2 — exclusive
- Michelle Obama spotlights veteran homelessness on Viceland's 'Balls Deep'
- 'The Expanse': Exclusive new look at season 2
- 'One Day at a Time' reboot: Netflix releases heartwarming trailer
- Walton Goggins in talks to play villain in 'Tomb Raider' reboot
- Preview the prologue in 'Tyson Hesse's Diesel: Ignition'
- 'Pitch' star Kylie Bunbury on Ginny's next move
- This Is What the 2001 'Ocean's Eleven' Premiere Looked Like
- 17 Star-Studded Celebrity Cookbooks
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot