A history of drug addiction has famously plagued Scott Weiland’s personal life, but his musical career suffers from something more strange: schizophrenia. As the singer for Stone Temple Pilots, Weiland offered karaokelike versions of Eddie Vedder’s growl and John Lennon’s sneer. For his solo debut, he perfects Michael Stipe’s whine, Richard Butler’s croak, and David Bowie’s bellow. Which makes us wonder: Who is Weiland himself? 12 Bar Blues’ sole connection to STP comes in its relentlessly catchy melodies, which even the weird production can’t distort. The producers (including Daniel Lanois) bleed every bass line, fuzz every guitar, and shatter every drumbeat. The star’s lyrics seem just as desperate for attention. If the result seems ostentatious, perverse, and needy, the LP’s sheer invention and hooks will make your indulgence worthwhile. B
12 Bar Blues A history of drug addiction has famously plagued Scott Weiland's personal life, but his musical career suffers from something more strange: ...12 Bar BluesRock A history of drug addiction has famously plagued Scott Weiland's personal life, but his musical career suffers from something more strange: ...1998-04-03
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Scott Weiland
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Jason Sudeikis looks back at 'SNL' and ahead towards 'Fletch'
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!