Don’t walk out of your video mart thinking you’ve got this year’s Oscar hog and a golden oldie — in fact you’re in for a George C. Scott TV-movie double feature. Fortunately, Showtime’s remake of Sidney Lumet’s 1957 version of the jury drama 12 Angry Men, in which one skeptical man (Lemmon in the Henry Fonda role) struggles to convince the other 11 (with Scott, in fine blowhard form, as the most stubborn) that there’s reasonable doubt about the accused’s guilt, still makes for a fine actors’ showcase. Granted, it’s all vaguely unnecessary; apart from a few contemporary references (Fat Albert, Tyson/Holyfield, Secrets & Lies…so, like, how come it’s still an all-male jury?) it’s pretty much a shot-by-shot replica of the ‘57 edition. But it’ll do. James Cameron’s epic vision of the maiden voyage of the RMS Titanic, on the other hand, makes 1996’s four-hour CBS miniseries look as inert as a smokestack. Cutting between two hokey shipboard romances, plus various other tedious subplots, the first half calls to mind a Very Special Episode of The Love Boat. Things pick up once the iceberg makes its cameo — the best scenes involve Scott, as the ship’s captain, frantically attempting to contact the nearby Californian (a detail Cameron opted to omit) — but only those with a truly desperate jones for all things Titanic need bother. B-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Tim Curry, Tony Danza, Ossie Davis, Peter Gallagher, Marilu Henner, Jack Lemmon, Armin Mueller-Stahl, George C. Scott, Courtney B. Vance; Director: William Friedkin; Status: In Season; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted April 17 1998 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Gilmore Girls' Fan Fest happening in town that inspired Stars Hollow
- Video Music Awards 2016: How well do you know the nominees?
- WATCH: Winter Soldier has shield envy in 'Civil War' deleted scene
- Naya Rivera reveals she had an abortion during 'Glee'
- Cher slams Donald Trump as 'f---ing idiot'
- CHVRCHES cover Calvin Harris & Rihanna's 'This Is What You Came For'
- 'Nashville' star eyes exit as premiere date confirmed
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...