If you know John Leguizamo only as the saucy Latino (Latina?) drag queen in To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar, then you don’t know John Leguizamo. In his latest one-man show Freak (following Spic-O-Rama and Mambo Mouth), he deftly relates his life story through an eclectic cast of characters (including an alcoholic grandma who tries to exorcise her grandson’s demons by sprinkling Jack Daniel’s on him). The evening is dimmed a bit by too many easy punchlines, but Leguizamo’s performance is a high-wattage wonder. B+
Posted April 17 1998 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ryan Adams is done covering albums after Taylor Swift's '1989'
- Watch the first two episodes of Hulu's 'Freakish'
- Hanson sang the national anthem the last time Cleveland made the World Series
- 'DWTS' used the 'Outlander' theme song — and it went over big
- Michael Gleason, 'Remington Steele' co-creator, dies at 78
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Can the team work with Daisy and Ghost Rider?
- Trump launches surreal nightly newscast